Parker, Cock, Buscombe, Rogers, Allen connections

Ann Parker, nee Cock

John Parker


Written by Gaye Gibbs (nee Jessep), Bob Wilson and partly by Grahame Thom, edited by Grahame Thom.

John Parker was the eldest son of John Parker, a farm labourer, and Elizabeth Buscombe, see below. He was born on 10 February 1810 and baptised at St. Breock, Cornwall on 11 March 1810 by the Rev. John Molesworth. On the 21 October 1837 he married Ann Cock at St. Breock. The service was conducted by the Rev. William Molesworth and the witnesses were William Cock and Ishmail Jones. John was 27, a mason living at Whitecross, and Anne was 24, living at Wadebridge, St. Breock  Parish.

Ann was the third child of  William Cock, flour miller at Polmorrow Mill, St. Breock and Elizabeth Allen. She was baptised at St Breock, Cornwall, on 2 December 1813.

In 1838 the young couple migrated to Australia on the Bounty ship Andromache under Captain New. The ship carried 220 immigrants under the supervision of James Douglass R.N. It sailed from Plymouth on 8 October 1838 and arrived in Sydney on 1 February 1839.

Ann and John were brought out by a sponsor named Marshall. John was certified to be of very good character by William Paynter, an ironmonger, and Joseph Miles, a draper. He was described as being strong, healthy and useful, able to read and write (however he couldn’t sign his daughter Catherine’s wedding certificate many years later, so his schooling may have been limited). He was listed as a stone mason. Ann was listed as being in good health; her calling was dressmaking.

The journey must have been under poor conditions, as the following letter from the ship’s surgeon highlights:-



The enclosed is a list of migrants per ship Andromache Thos. New esq., master with their occupations etc. On the system of immigration I will not at present offer any opinion but I have no doubt that something might be done to render the ships employed on that service more generally healthy and that it should be imperative on the part of the Charters of such ships to provide proper accommodation for the sick so that they might in some measure be separated from the healthy and at the same time keeping the women during the period of their confinement apart from the noise and gaze of their companions.

I have the honor to be
Your most obed. servant

James Douglas, surgeon.

To J. Denham Pennoch Esq. VC.


The couple settled in Parramatta in the early days of the township, where John first followed briefly his trade as a builder.  He was involved in building the Centenary Church, Parramatta North, and the old Wesleyan Church in Macquarie Street, Parramatta.  By late 1840, due to a down turn in the building trade, John operated a grocery store first at an unknown location then later on the corner of George and Church Streets (1865, 1868).  It is likely the family lived on the upper floor of this shop for in 1868 their daughter Alice died at Church Street.  John’s occupation recorded at the time of family baptisms, births and deaths over the period 1840 to 1868 was given as shopkeeper, grocer and storekeeper.

Above extracted from page 93, book Parramatta – The Early Years by Michael Kelson

It would seem that John became well known in the Parramatta community for in 1860, he was invloved with collecting funds to help with operating the local hospital (Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate, Saturday, 27 June 1896, page 7). Then in 1861 he was nominated by a Mr Harvey, and seconded by Mr Staff, to become an alderman of the first Parramatta Council.  The election was held on 27 December 1861 when twenty two men stood for the nine positions and votes received ranged from 15 to 262; John received 17 votes and was not elected (Cumberland Argus, 12 August 1914, page 1).  He later stood again was was a councillor for six years.

An interesting court report appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on 14 January 1864 – page 5.

“Parramatta – Police Court – Monday 11th, Before Mr G Langley. Moses Isaacs was charged with having on the 1st instant uttered a fictitious cheque with intent to defraud John Parker. Prisoner on that day entered the shop of Mr J. Parker and purchased a box of cigars, tendering in payment the cheque produced, which he said he had received from a Parramatta settler. The signature to the cheque was illegible, and the part in whose favour it was drawn unknown. On enquiry at the Commercial Bank, nearly opposite, on which the cheque was drawn for the sum of five pounds, it was found that it was a forgery, and the prisoner was given into custody. He was now committed to take his trial at the Court of General Sessions to be held in April next.”

Moses appeared before the Parramatta Quarter Sessions on 5 April 1864 and was found not guilty. (SMH 6 April 1864, page 3)

Sometime in the late 1860s or early 1870s John became a fruit grower, probably to support his grocery business, but was not, at first, successful. On August 13th 1874 John Parker of Newlands, Parramatta, fruit grower went out of business. His liabilities were £1,499 15s 10d  and his assets were £16 19s 9d. James Galloway, a mortgage broker was the main creditor. His insolvency was compulsory, click on link below to see a report in the Sydney Morning Herald.

It is difficult to fully appreciate what happened to John’s assets from reading the above mentioned SMH report.  Perhaps John managed to hold onto his Newlands land as when his daughter Elizabeth married in 1877, John is said to be of Breok (sic) Villa, Newlands (SMH 21 July 1877) and when his son Samuel married in 1879, John is said to be of Breock, Newlands (SMH 13 June 1879).

John continued as an orchardist (1877, 1892) and gardener (1884). John and Ann had eleven children; seven daughters and four sons; four children died young.  They later lived in Albion Street.

John died in Albion Street on 20 February 1892 aged 82 years after suffering from senile decay and diarrhoea for four days. The informant was his son-in-law John Nicholson. He was buried at the Methodist Cemetery, Parramatta.

The following obituary appeared in the Cumberland Argus and Fruit Grower’s Advocate on page on 27 February 1892 :-

Death of an Old Parramatta Resident – On Saturday last Mr John Parker after a residence in Parramatta of 53 years, breathed his last. He was born in Wadebridge, Cornwall 10 February, 1810, and was thus in his 83rd year at the time of his death. He married his wife (who survives him) in 1837, and in 1838 left his native home and landed in Sydney in January 1839 coming direct to Parramatta. Mr. Parker being a builder by trade subsequently assisted to build the Centenary Church, Parramatta North and the old Wesleyan Church, Macquarie-street, which he and his family attended. After some time, trade getting down, he opened a grocer’s store at which business he continued until about (2?) years since, when he retired and went to reside at his orchard at Newland which he planted.  For the last nine years he has been an invalid, having lost his sight although he, for the last three years could discern objects close to him; at the time of his death he had been married to his wife for 54 years, and had 3 sons and 7 daughters, of whom 2 sons and 5 daughters are still living. He also leaves 19 grandchildren. Mr. Parker was of a quiet disposition, and very rarely mixed politics; he held a seat in our Municipal Council for 6 years, being an alderman for Gore Ward for that period. His two surviving sons and two grandsons are at the present time holding prominent positions in some of our Colonial Banks. Parker, during the time he was laid aside from active work could and would tell some of his colonial experiences, he having arrived here when labour was being done by prisoners. He saw the present Lennox’s Bridge built by prison labour, the men working in chains with soldiers as overseers. His funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, when he was buried in the Wesleyan burial ground, Parramatta.

Ann died on 8 July 1904 from asthenia and senility, from which she had been ailing for several years. She was buried on 12 July 1904 with John. Her funeral was delayed owing to the flooded state of the country. Ann was aged 90 years and had been living with her eldest daughter Elizabeth at The Oaks, NSW, where Elizabeth and her husband had a farm.

The following obituary appeared in the Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate, Saturday 16 July 1904, page 12.

Death of an Old Parramatta Lady

On July 8th there passed away, at the ripe old age of 91, a very esteemed old Parramatta lady, Mrs John Parker. The deceased died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs W J Moulder, of The Oaks, near Camden. Mrs Moulder was the deceased’s eldest daughter, and she married Mr W J Moulder, who formerly had an orangery at the foot of Constitution Hill. The property has since been annexed in the grounds of the Hospital for Insane. Another daughter of the deceased is Mrs Nicholson, widow of the late Mr J C Nicholson. The Parker family ran a substantial grocery business some 40 years back, on the site now occupied by Tattersall’s Hotel. Mr Robert Plain, now of Prospect, was the carter. On retiring from business, the late John Parker erected a residence at Newlands and surrounded it with a nice little orangery, where he grew some of the best oranges in the district. Mr Parker and his family were staunch Weslyans, and about that time the Weslyans were busy collecting funds for the building and fitting out of a missionary schooner, the John Williams. Mr Parker gave his youngest daughter an orange tree, and she devoted the proceeds of this tree to the missionary cause. Scoffers may laugh, but this tree flourished beyond all others: it bore more fruit, and the fruit realised more than the fruit of any other tree. Whether it was because it was a missionary tree, or because it occupied a favoured position in the orchard and received more attention, history sayeth not, but such was the fact. It would be interesting to know whether the tree still survives. The deceased lady was of a most gentle disposition, and was loved by all who had the pleasure of knowing her. The funeral took place on Tuesday. The deceased lady’s body was brought down from the “Oaks”, Camden, and interred in the Methodist Cemetery, Parramatta North, the Rev W H Howard, officiating at the grave side. The funeral took place the day after which it had been expected, and, as the funeral party were delayed a day (by reason of the floods) between Camden and Granville. The funeral arrangements were in the hands of Mrs Jordan Sparks.


Following Ann’s death a notice the Cumberland Argus of Wednesday 21 September 1904, page 3

Auction Sales

Preliminary Notice – Imperative Auction Sale – Important Property Newlands

John Taylor & Co, under the instructions from the Australian Mutual Provident Society, will sell by public auction, at their Real Estate Property Sale Rooms, Church street, Parramatta, at an EARLY DATE, all that valuable Property known as late Mr John Parker’s residence and Orchard, Thomas and Betts streets, Newlands, Parramatta; also the two BRICK BUILT COTTAGES and LAND (tenanted), with a frontage to the south side of Pennant street, and a block of Land, with a large frontage to the west side of Macarthur street. The total area of lands, which all adjoin, about 7 acres.

Solocitors for the Property, Messrs Stephen, Jaques and Stephen, O’Connell st, Sydney.


Then the following auction notice appeared in the Cumberland Argus on Saturday 10 October 1904, page 9

Tuesday 4th October 1904
Imperative Auction Sale, Valuable Property
Newlands, Parramatta

John Taylor & Co, have been instructed to sell by Public Auction, at their Real Estate Property Sale Rooms, Church st, Parramatta, on Tuesday 4th October at 11 o’clock

All that extensive and conveniently situated Parramatta Town Property, know as late Mr John Parkler’s Residence, Orchard and Poultry Run, Area of land, about 7 acres, with frontages to Thomas, Betts, Pennant and Macarthur streets. The buildings comprise a compact W B Ver Cottage, with hall, 7 rms, Bathroom, det Kitchen, and Outbuildings. The frontage is to Thomas street. There are two Brick-built Cottages attached; each contains 4 rooms and detached Kitchens, with frontages to Pennant street, both tenanted.

NB – Plans and particulars at the sale rooms.

Messrs Stephen, Jaques, and Stehen, Solicitors for the Property, O’Connell street, Sydney.

Ii would seem that John’s bankruptcy was finalised without the need to sell his Newlands land.  Perhaps the title was transferred to Ann and this enabled her to continue to live there following John’s death in 1892, but later, when her health declined, lived with her daughter at The Oaks.  It is likely the proceeds of John and Ann’s estate was divided equally among their children.  More research, particularly of land records, could clarify this.

Of their known children:-

1) Elizabeth Ann – born 28 October 1841 at Parramatta, baptised 24 November 1841, Wesleyan Church, Parramatta, married an Englishman, William Joseph Moulder, a farmer, in her home at Parramatta on 4 July 1877. They had an orchard at Guildford and later moved to a farm at The Oaks, where they again had orchards and kept a few cows and chickens. Thelma Rowe (their great niece) visited them there. Thelma was a favourite with her Uncle Will as they both loved gardening. William liked to grow unusual things and delighted Thelma with peanut and cotton plants. He also used to feed the kookaburras and Thelma would be told to sit very still and quiet as they came down for a feed. Aunty Lizzy was also very kind to Thelma. She lived to a great age and Thelma remembers her crocheting lace curtains for the front rooms of her home when she was 80. They had no children but raised two orphan nieces. When they got older they went to live in Guildford, near Vera, one of their nieces. Thelma visited them there too and stayed overnight. They got up very early and would bring her morning tea in bed; thin bread and butter and a cup of tea. Thelma thought this a real luxury. William died on 10 December 1928 at Guildford and Elizabeth died on 22 May 1935 aged 94 years at Lucas Road, Burwood. They were buried at Rookwood (Methodist), Sydney.

2) Mary Jane – born 26 October 1843, Parramatta, baptised 15 November 1843, Wesleyan Church, Parramatta, married John Christian Nicholson (b.1838) at the Wesleyan Church, Parramatta on 27 September 1865. He was the son of John Nicholson, master mariner, and Agatha Anderson and was born in Flensburg Denmark. He was an upholsterer aged 27. They had seven children: John V.W. (1866 to 1925), William E (1868), Oswald Arthur (1875 to 1877), Leslie Nippell (b.1871 married Maria Bridget Amelia), Oswald Arthur II, Anter Lindel Newril (1881), and Vasey Dagmar (1883). The children were all born in Parramatta. John died on 29 April 1903 at Ada Street, Parramatta aged 65 years and was buried at the Baptist Cemetery, Mays Hill as a Methodist.

3) Margaret – born 5 May 1845 died as a baby.

4) Catherine Marie – born 1 May 1847, baptised 6 June 1847 Wesleyan Church, Parramatta, married Samuel Lane at the Methodist Church, Windsor, on 14 May 1879. Note that Catherine was aged 32 years when she married Samuel. She had been engaged to be married to John Haggitt of Parramatta. But John was killed in an accident on 23 April 1867, click on link below.

Samuel worked as a storekeeper at Windsor and later Albury. They had five children: Eppie Alice (1880), Alfred Oram (1881), Arthur Wesley (1883), Blanche (1886) and Wesley Moulder (1891). Catherine died 7 September 1909 at Windsor aged 62 years and Samuel died 26 January 1932 at the Narrabeen Homes. Catherine was buried at St Matthew’s, Windsor, and Samuel was buried at Rookwood (Methodist) Cemetery, Sydney. For more about this family see their story; click on link below.

5) William Henry -18 October 1848 at Parramatta, worked for the Commercial Bank, Brisbane, and lived there from at least 1872 to 1874. His father borrowed money in order to get him into the bank. When John went bankrupt there was some furniture belonging to William on the premises; this furniture was seized by the Sheriff, but subsequently given up to his sister Elizabeth on her application. William had owned it for four years but kept it at his father’s home in Parramatta. William married Kathleen Juliet Munce on 7 August 1879 in Toowong, Brisbane. They had four children;

a) Audley (1880) was an Artillery Lieutenant in World War One and was killed in France on 21 July 1917 while on active service.
b) Elsie Grace (1882) died on 14 May1925 and was buried in Toowong Cemetery with her parents. She was living at Chaseley Street Auchenflower (death notice).
c) Ada Muriel (1886) she was the executor for her sister Elsie in 1925 and was a spinster residing at Chaseley Street, Auchenflower, Brisbane. She died in 1972 at Mosman, NSW
d) Eric (1889) married Sadie Irene Irvine in 1917 in Brisbane. He died 1961 in Brisbane

In 1917 William and Kathleen were living at Haussler Terrace, Milton (son’s death notice). Kathleen died on 2 January 1921 at her residence at Chaseley Street, Auchenflower. She was a public accountant (death notice). William died in 1943 aged 95 in Brisbane. They were buried in Toowong Cemetery. On William’s deah certificate his father’s name was given as John Buskin Parker (Buscombe was John’s mother’s maiden name!). The following obituary appeared in the Courier Mail on 13 March 1943.


Mr William H Parker, 94, oldest ex-banker in Queensland, and a horticulturist with a world-wide reputation for citrus fruit experiements, died on Thursday at Auchenflower. He was born in Parramatta (NSW), and joined the staff of the Commercial Banking Co. in 1866. In the eighties he was appointed manager of the Queensland Deposit Bank, Brisbane. He retired in 1893 to develop his orchard at Glen Retreat, near Enoggera. Mr Parker was the oldest trustee of the Albert Street Methodist Church, one of the founders of the Queensland Cricket Association and the Bankers’ Rowing Club, and a director of the Queensland Fruitgrowers’ Co-operative Association.

6) Emily – born 18 June 1850 at Parramatta, married William Henry Packham (born in 1859 at Molong) in her home at Parramatta on 24 September 1884. He was a grazier at Molong; probably on the property Pinecliffe. They had three children: Arley Youngman (26 November 1885), Estelle Hope (19 June 1887 – Mrs J H Monas) and Eliza or Lila Myrtle (24 August 1888 – Mrs A R Milton). William died in the ‘flu epidemic on 18 August 1891 at Quickburn, Molong, his parents’ property, aged 32 years. He was buried at the Molong Wesleyan Cemetery. After his death Emily and the three children went to live with a member of her family in Parramatta and then moved to Camden to live with other relatives. In her old age she lived with her daughter Lila at 5 Warrington Ave, Epping. She died on 27 October 1934 aged 84 years at Norfolk House, Norfolk Road, Epping, and was cremated at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, Sydney.

7) John David – born 1852 died as a baby.

8) John James – June 1853 died 25 April 1854 aged 10 months.

9) Rebecca – born 13 May 1855 at Parramatta married George Henry Morris (born 1844). They lived at Undercliffe, Earlwood, and had no children, having married late in life. She was a lonely woman and visited Blanche Lane (her niece) in Grafton Street, Bondi Junction, and Thelma Rowe (her great niece) at Maroubra when she was elderly. She gave Thelma a set of fruit plates with lace work around the edges. George died on 21 April 1920 aged 75/6 years and Rebecca died on 28 May 1938 aged 83 years. Both were buried at Waverley Cemetery, Sydney.

10) Thomas Edwin – born 14 April 1857), did not marry. He worked as a masseur (1901-1913) and then bought a 3.25 acre poultry farm at Caryna, William Street, Earlwood, where he lived until he died aged 70 years on 22 April 1927. He was buried at Moorefields Methodist Cemetery. Thomas left an estate of £1,588.19.10 with Rebecca as executrix. Emily was bequeathed the house – Norfolk House, Norfolk Road, Epping and the property Caryna. Rebecca was to have any loans repaid from the erection of the house and an equal share of the remainder.

11) Alice – born 17 August 1858 at Parramatta, died on 1 October 1868 aged 10 years at Parramatta from a laryugismus stridulus spasm after 18 hours illness. She was buried at the Wesleyan Cemetery, Parramatta.


John Parker was christened on 2 May 1779 at St Breock, Cornwall, the son of John Parker Senior (born about 1750) and Mary May. They were married on 29 October 1776 at Egloushayle, Cornwall, near St Breock. They had at least one other son, Thomas who born 29 April 1781 at St Breock. John Parker senior died on 20 September 1809 at St Breock.

John married Elizabeth Buscombe on 25 April 1807 at St Breock. He was 27, a farm labourer and later he worked as a butcher. Elizabeth was christened on 19 May 1782 at St Breock. She was the daughter of Philip Buscombe and Jane Brabyn (see belowe).

In 1837 the Parker family were living at Whitecross – this was when their son John and his wife Ann migrated to Australia. In the 1841 census John (aged about 60 years, agricultural labourer) and Elizabeth (aged about 55 years) were living at St Breock with daughter Mary ( aged about 25 years, a dressmaker).

John died on 3 November 1841 aged 62 years and was buried at Whitecross (near St Breock).

In the 1851 census Elizabeth, aged 69 years, was visiting her daughter Jane Williams, on their 150 acre farm at Little Petherick, Cornwall. Elizabeth was of independent means. Elizabeth died on 18 March 1854 at St Breock aged 72 years.

John and Elizabeth had at least four children, the eldest baptised at St Breock :-

1) Jane – baptised 21 January 1808, died before 1812.

2) John – baptised 11 March 1810. On 21 October 1837 he married Ann Cock at St. Breock, Cornwall. In 1838 the young couple migrated to Australia on the Bounty ship Andromache. They had eleven children all born in Sydney, see above.

3) Jane – born about 1812 at St Breock .She married Joshua Bazely on 3 December 1831 at St Breock. Jane and Joshua had six children all baptised at St Breock – Joshua, John, Mary B., Henry, William, and Jane. Joshua probably died locally in 1867 and Jane on 9 April 1883 at St Breock. DNA matching results of four living people indicate confirmation of the above details.

4) Mary – born 1816 at St Breock; a dressmaker in 1841.


Philip Buscombe and Jane Brabyn were married at St Breock on 31 July 1781. Nothing further can be found about Philip. Jane was baprised on 12 March 1753 at St Columb Major, the daugher of William and Mary Brabyn.  Philip was buried at St Breock on 14 December 1794. After Philip’s death, Jane, aged 53 years, married William Cleave at St Breock on 9 November 1806. Jane was buried on 17 September 1819 at Egloshayle.

Based on the birth of their children, William and Mary Brabyn were probably married around 1740 at St Columb Major. William may have been baptised at St Columb Major on 28 March 1702, the son of Richard Brabyn. William and Mary had at least six children all baptised at St Columb Major with burials also :-

Mary Brabyn baptised on 25 April 1741, may have married George Daw on 25 April 1773, five children, and buried on 21 June 1779
Elizabeth Brabyn baptised on 7 March 1743
Ann Brabyn baptised on 6 September 1745 (twin)
Richard Brabyn baptised on 6 September 1745 (twin) – buried 22 March 1746
Jane Brabyn baptised on 7 November 1748 – buried 25 June 1750
Jane Brabyn baptised 12 March 1753, as above


Thomas Cock and Jane Rogers were married at St Breock, Cornwall, on 15 September 1775. They had eight children, all baptised at St Breock:-

1) Ann – baptised 30 May 1779

2) Jenefer – baptised 31 December 1779 married William Ellery 10 October 1804

3) William – baptised 31 December 1780. He was a miller at Polmorrow Mill (after his father?) and married Elizabeth Allen (born 1786) at St Breock on 6 January 1808. They had six known children, see below. William died on 3 February 1853 aged 73 years.

4) Rebecca – baptised 17 July 1785

5) Margaret – baptised 3 February 1789

6) Thomas – baptised. 25 February 1791. He died on 22 March 1841 aged 50 and was buried at St Breock.

7) John – baptised 28 April 1793

8) Peter – baptised 17 July 1796. He was a carpenter and married Elizabeth (born 1796 at St Wenn). They had a large family at St Wenn:-

a) Jane (1826)
b) Thomas (1826)
c) Samuel (1827) – a journeyman carpenter
d) Mary (1830)
e) John (1831) – farmer at Rosenannon, St Wenn. He married Mary and later Jane.
f) Peter (1834) – carpenter’s apprentice and farmer at Rosenannon, St Wenn. He married Ann and had at least seven children.
g) James (1837)

English Census Returns

In the 1841 census Peter (40, carpenter) was living in Rosenannon with his wife Elizabeth (40) and children Jane (15), Thomas (15), Samuel (14), Mary (11), John (9), Peter (6) and James (3).

In the 1851 census Peter (53), a carpenter was living at Rosenannon St Wenn with his wife Elizabeth aged 50, and children Samuel (24, a journeyman carpenter), Mary (21, living at home), Peter (16, a carpenter’s apprentice) and James (13, a scholar). His wife and children were all born at St Wenn.

In the 1861 census Peter (64, carpenter) and his wife Elizabeth (60, housewife) are still living at Rosenannon and a few doors down the road his son Peter (26, farmer on 20 acres) is living with his wife Ann (27, dressmaker).

By the 1871 census Peter (74, retired carpenter, widower) is living in Rosenannon with his son John Cock (40, farmer of 25 acres) and his wife Mary (41, born in Lanset). Next door is a large family of Cock’s all born in St Wenn; William R.Cock (47, farmer of 60 acres, employing one labourer) his mother Tabatha (79, late farmer’s wife) and William’s children Jane (10, scholar),Mary A (8, scholar), Susan R (6, scholar), Hannah (4, scholar) and Edith (6 months). Additionally Bessy Cock (15, niece, general servant) is helping out with the children. The mother does not seem to be present. Tabatha, the grandmother, also appeared in the 1841 census at St Wenn, aged 45, the wife of William Cock (50, farmer) with their children William (15) and Tabatha (8). The older William (b1791) is too young to be Peter’s brother but he could be a cousin.

In 1881 census Peter senior seems to have died. His son Peter Cock junior (46, farmer at Deerpark, on 113 acres, employing one labourer) is living at St Wenn with his wife Ann (47) and children Mary Thomas (19), James (17, agricultural labourer), Jane (14), Elizabeth (13, scholar), Ester (9, scholar), Joseph Peter (7, scholar) and Hannah (1). The mother and the eldest three children were born at St Wenn but the younger children were all born at St Mawgan in Cornwall. Peter senior’s son John (49, Little Trewollack, farmer of 75 acres employing two men) is also living at St Wenn with his new wife Jane (44, born in St Wenn). With them was their child Hannah (3, born at St Wenn) and John’s stepchildren James (22, farmer’s son), John (19, farmer’s son), Thomas (16, farmer’s son), Mary Cleave (14, scholar), Elizabeth (12, scholar) and Jane (12, scholar) – all born at St Wenn and all taking the name Cock.


William was the eldest son of Thomas Cock and Jane Rogers, baptised on 31 December 1780 at St Breock. He became a flour miller at Polmorrow Mill (same occupation as his father) at St Breock. He married Elizabeth (Betsy) Allen at St Breock on 6 January 1808. She was 22 and William was 28. Elizabeth was born in 1786 at Lanivet, Cornwell – near St Breock.

English Census Returns

In the 1841 census William aged 60, a miller at Polmorrow Mill was living with his wife Betsy, aged 60, his son Thomas Cock (25, mason) and brother John Cock (45, miller). Next door to the Polmorrow Mill their daughter Mary (25, not married) was working as a servant at Nanscow farm, the home of Mary Werry who was a 55 year old farmer with three agricultural labourers working for her.

In 1851 William and Elizabeth are living at Littlewood Mills St Mabyn. William was 71 and rented and serviced mills. Elizabeth was 70 and a miller’s wife. Their son John (26, miller) and three male servants were with them. William died on 3 February 1853 aged 73 years at St Breock.

In 1861 Elizabeth aged 80 years, was living in St Breock with her son in law William Rounsival (37, mine carpenter, born St Breock) and daughter Mary (48, grocer). Next door live William Rounsival senior aged 64, carpenter and his wife Ann, aged 66 years, both born in St Breock. A fifteen year old scholar, Elizabeth Ann Holtin (born in St Breock) was visiting them. Elizabeth died on 27 April 1862 aged 81 years. William and Elizabeth were both buried at St Breock and their headstone still stands.

William and Elizabeth had at least 6 children:-

1) William – baptised 7 October 1810 at St Breock, married Mary. In the 1851 census William (40) was living with his wife Mary (40, born at St Wenn) in St Breock where he was working as an innkeeper. In 1861 William (50, carpenter) was living at Churchtown, St Breock with his wife Polly (50, born at St Breock). In the 1871 census William aged 60, a carpenter, was living at Polmorla (Polmorrow Mill) with his wife Polly aged 65. Polly was born at St Wenn. He died at Polmorrow on 31 May 1872.

2) Mary – baptised 5 July 1812 at St Breock, married William Rounsival in late 1850. They do not seem to have had any children; Mary was a fair bit older than William. In the 1841 census Mary was 25, not married, and working as a servant, next door to the Polmorow Mill where her parents were living. She was working at Nanscow, the home of Mary Werry, a 55 year old farmer with three agricultural labourers working for her. In the 1851 census Mary (37) was the wife of William Rounsevale (27, carpenter). They were living in Church Town, St Breock with a lodger. Next door is Thomas Rounsevale (58, carpenter born in St Breock) and his wife Ann (59). They were probably William’s parents. Also present is John Rounsevale their son aged 18, a carpenter too, born in St Breock. In the 1861 census William (37, mine carpenter, born St Breock) was living in St Breock with his wife Mary (48, grocer). Mary’s mother Elizabeth aged 80 years is living with them. In the 1881 census William Rounswell (57, mine carpenter) was living in Polmorla, St Breock with his wife Mary Rounswell (66) and a 35 year old female boarder, Mary Garland, from St Breock. Mary Rounswell died on 1 November 1902 aged 91 years and was buried at St Breock. William died on 1 October 1900 aged 77 years at Polmorla and was buried with his wife Mary at St Breock. His father Thomas died on 15 March 1875 aged 82 years and was also buried at St Breoke along with his wife Ann who died 15 November 1871 aged 75 years.

3) Ann – baptised 12 December 1813 at St Breock, married John Parker, the eldest son of John Parker, a farm labourer, and Elizabeth (Buscombe). He was baptised at St. Breock Cornwall on 11 March 1810 by the Rev. John Molesworth. On the 21 October 1837 he married Ann Cock at St. Breock. John was 27, a mason living at Whitecross, and Anne was 24, living at Wadebridge St. Breock’s. In 1838 the young couple migrated to Sydney, Australia on the Bounty ship Andromache. They had eleven children all born in Sydney. John worked as a grocer then as an orchardist and gardener. John died in his home on 20 February 1892 aged 82 years. Ann died on 8 July 1904 aged 91 years.

4) Thomas – born 12 January 1819 at St Breock. In the 1841 census, he was living with his parents at Polmorrow Mill, aged 25 and a mason. He married Charlotte Wyatt (born in Wadebridge, 2 November 1821) in 1843. Thomas died 7 October 1864 and Charlotte died 22 June 1897. They were buried at St Breock. They had seven children:-

a) Margrete (1844, St Breock)
b) Elizabeth Jane (1846, Wadebridge, St Breock) – married John Hoskin, seaman and had a son, Alfred Thomas.
c) William (14 June 1848, Wadebridge, St Breock) – mason and builder. He married Harriet and then Louisa with whom he had a large family (but many died in infancy):- Mary Ann (1873 – 8 March 1877 aged 4), William J H (1874 – 25 March 1876 aged 15 months, John Henry (1876 – 4 December 1878 aged 2), James (1879), Thomas (1881), Arthur (1886), William (1887), Charles Alex (1890 – died 4 January 1892 aged 15 months), Earnest (1897 – died 29 June 1897 aged 6 months), Fred (1898 – died 21 May 1899 aged 10 months). Louisa died 9 October 1916 aged 65 and William died on 30 November 1925. They were buried at Egloushayle. When Louisa died, her sons Jim and Tom erected the headstone.

d) Mary (1850, St Breock)
e) Charlotte (1853, St Breock)
f) Christina (1855, St Breock
g) James Thomas (1861, St Breock)

English Census Returns

In the 1841 census Thomas Cock (25, mason) was living with his father William Cock (aged 60, a miller at Polmorrow Mill), his mother Betsy, aged 60 and uncle John Cock (45, miller).

In 1851 Thomas (35, mason) was living at Wadebridge with his wife Charlotte (31) and children Margrete (7, scholar), Elizabeth J (5, scholar) William (2) and Mary (1).

In 1861 Thomas (41, stone mason) is living at St Breock with his wife Charlotte (40), plus children Elizabeth Jane (15), William (13), Mary (11), Charlotte (8), Christina (6) and James Thomas (3 months). His wife, daughter Elizabeth and son William were born in Wadebridge, but the younger four were born in St Breock.

In 1871 Charlotte was living in St Breock, a 49 year old masons widow with William Cock (23, mason), James Cock (9, scholar), Christina (5, granddaughter, scholar), John Soper (2, grandson, born in St Breock).

In 1881 Charlotte was aged 59 with house property living at Market Place in St Breock. With her are her daughter Jane Hoskin (35, seaman’s wife), John S. Hoskin (35, seaman born in Saltash, Cornwall) and grandson Alffey T. Hoskin (3, born in St Breock) and sister in law Christina Cock (59, pauper, born New Quay, Cornwall). Her son William (33, mason builder) is living nearby with his wife Louisa (30, born St Teath, Cornwall) and their children James (2) and William Thomas (2 months).

In 1891 Charlotte was aged 70 and living on her own means in St Breock with her grandson Alfred John Hoskin aged 13, scholar and a servant Emily Tippett aged 34 from Padstow Cornwall. Her son William’s wife Louisa is living at Foundry Road, Wadebridge with their family James (12, scholar), Thomas (10, scholar), Arthur (5) and William (4) and Charley (8 months). William himself is absent.

5) James – born about 1822, mason. He married Christiana Tuman in 1851 (born 1822 in New Quay, Cornwall, daughter of Richard and Jane both deceased in 1852). They migrated to Sydney, Australia in 1852 as assisted immigrants on the ship Sir George Seymour. The shipping record states that they were both aged 29 and that James was the brother-in-law of John Parker, grocer of Parramatta. Reorts of James appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald, click on link below. By the 1871 census, Christiana Cock had returned to England. She was 49 and a mason’s wife, born in St Columb Minor, Cornwell and visiting at St Mabyn with her sister in law Mary Ann Cock (50, born at St Merryan, Cornwell) a farmer of 30 acres with her children, all born in St Mabyn:- James S Cock (17, farmer), Elizabeth (13, farmer’s daughter and scholar) and Christiana (15, farmer’s daughter and scholar). In 1881 Christiana was then aged 59, a pauper, living with her sister in law Charlotte Cock in St Breock. She died during the March quarter of 1885 at St Breock.

6) John – born about 1826 at Polmorrow Mill. He married Mary Anne (born 1821 at St Merryan, Cornwell) and they had four children. He died between 1861 and 1871. In 1841 John (aged 15, miller) was living with father William (aged 60, miller). In 1851 he was living with his father and his wife at Littlewood Mills, St Mabyn – north of Wadebridge. In 1861 John (36, miller and farmer employing two men and a boy) was living in St Mabyn at Littlewood Mills. With him were his wife Mary Ann (40) and children James S (8, scholar), Catherine S. (5, scholar), Elizabeth A (3, miller and farmer’s daughter), William John S. (8 months) as well a house servant (Elizabeth Congdon, 11, from Bodmin). The children were all born at St Mabyn. By 1871 his wife Mary Ann Cock (50, born at St Merryan, Cornwell) was living at Little Tuvesquite Farm House, St Mabyn, as head of the household, a farmer of 30 acres with her children, all born in St Mabyn:- James S Cock (17, farmer), Elizabeth (13, farmer’s daughter and scholar) and Christiana (15, farmer’s daughter and scholar). Was Christiana in fact the Catherine S. listed in the 1851 census? Mary Ann’s sister in law Christiana Cock (49 and a mason’s wife, born in St Columb Minor Cornwell) was visiting.


Monumental Inscriptions, BDM certificates, English census returns, parish registers, freebdm website, NSW State Records Bankruptcy Ref 12008

Note that for the 1841 English Census enumerators were instructed to record the ages of adults by rounding down to the nearest five years.

Email address for Gaye Gibbs –

Home Page

Return to my home page

Samuel Lane and Catherine Maria Parker

Return to Sam and Kate’s story

St Breock Church

Photos of church and headstones

Egloushayle Church

Photo of church and headstone

SMH articles

John Parker’s bankruptcy and John Haggitt death

James and Christiana Cock

Their story in Sydney